Masala Spiced Chai
Masala chai is ubiquitous wherever you go in India and we love it! Indians tend to drink it from tiny cups as below, but we prefer to use a huge mug!
|Ashram Masala Chai - small!|
Makes 4 delicious mugs of chai
5 tsps loose black tea leaves (or 5 teabags!)
10 cardamom pods (crushed)
1" fresh root ginger (crushed) or 1/2 tsp of dried ginger
1 cinnamon stick or 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
3 mugs boiling water
2 mugs of milk
4 tsps brown sugar or to taste if you like it sweeter
1 stick of lemongrass (our secret ingredient!)
(You can also add a little cracked black pepper if you like it spicy.)
- Brew the tea in a saucepan of pre-boiled water for around 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea (or just remove the teabags).
- Add the remaining ingredients to the saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
- Allow to simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes taking care not to let it boil over.
- Strain and serve into mugs for you and your friends.