Coconut and Kidney Bean Chilli
Possibly our favourite meal of all. Mexican-inspired beans and rice served with corn, fresh guacamole, peach salsa and green salad. Heaven!
- 2 Cups Dried Kidney Beans (soaked overnight) or 2 x 400g Tins of Kidney Beans (drained & rinsed)
- 8 Ripe Tomatoes - roughly chopped
- 2 White Onions - roughly chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic -peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 2 Tsps Ground Cumin
- 2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 Fresh Chilis -finely chopped (add the seeds as well if you like it spicy!)
- Handful of Dessicated Coconut
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Rinse the soaked kidney beans and bring them to the boil in a large pot of water. Boil fast for 10 minutes then on a simmer for a further 80 minutes until soft but not mushy.
- Fry the onions off in a little olive oil in a large pot for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and chilli to the onions and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Next add the garlic to the mix and continue frying for another 2 minutes.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and a teaspoon of salt and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer for around 30 minutes until the tomatoes have all cooked down into a rich spicy sauce.
- When the beans are cooked, drain, but keep back the cooking water.
- Add the beans and a little of their water to the tomato sauce and stir well. Continue to add more of the bean juice until you have a saucy, but not watery consistency.
- Finally add a handful of dessicated coconut and stir in well. Then allow to simmer for a further 30 minutes for all the flavours to come together. Adjust the seasoning as required.
- Serve with rice, salsa and guacamole for a delicious Mexican feast!
|Served here with Corn Bread and Peach Salsa