Vegan Spiced Apple Cake
A perfect Autumnal cake.
- 4 Cups Self Raising Flour
- 1 Cup Muscovado Sugar
- 1 Cup Unrefined Cane Sugar
- 1 Tsps Bicarbonate Soda
- 3 Big Juicy Apples, peeled, cored & grated
- 1 and a 1/2 Cups Soy Milk
- 1 Cup Olive or Sunflower Oil
- 2 Inches Root Ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 Tsps Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2/3 Cup Icing Sugar although we just used Unrefined Cane Sugar that we ground to a fine powder in a spice grinder!
- 5 Tbsps (roughly) Soy Milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and grease a 2x9x13 inch baking tin with olive oil (as in the photos here) or a large cake tin.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Add the grated apple into the flour mixture.
- Stir in the oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix the soy milk, bicarbonate soda and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and stir until it's smooth.
- Put the mixture into the baking tray and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. (Note: the cooking time will be slightly longer in a cake tin.)
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- To make the icing, mix the powdered brown sugar with a few tablespoons of soy milk and whisk well. Keep adding soy milk until you have a thick icing. Spread evenly over the cake.
- Slice and serve with a nice cup of cinnamon tea!