Mushroom, Thyme & Halloumi Burgers
These open burgers are right up there with our favourite vegetarian comfort foods ; the rich meatiness of the mushrooms combined with salty goodness of grilled halloumi make a satisfying, nourishing meal perfect for cold, wet evenings...of which we've been seeing plenty!
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 4 Large Field or Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 Large Wholemeal Buns
- 150 g Halloumi Cheese
- Sprig of Thyme
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Finely chop the garlic and thyme and sprinkle evenly over the upturned mushrooms in a large baking dish.
- Drizzle a generous amount of oil over the mushrooms and season well with salt and pepper. Also, pour 50mls of water into the bottom of the dish to stop the mushrooms drying out too much, then place in the hot oven for around 15 minutes until cooked through and juicy.
- Turn on your grill and lightly toast the opened buns.
- Layer a whole mushroom on each half a bun, with two 4-5mm slices of halloumi cheese on each.
- Pop them all under the grill until the cheese begins to melt and turn golden.
- Serve with a large, well dressed rocket salad.