Beetroot and Feta Tart
I've cut a lot of corners with this recipe to save time, so you could have them prepared and ready in little over 30 minutes and that's if you go slow like me. If you're a traditionalist or want to challenge yourself then go right ahead and make the pastry and beets from scratch!
Ingredients:Makes 4 Tarts
- 375g pre rolled puff pastry
- 300g pre-cooked beetroot (not the pickled ones)
- 200g Feta Cheese
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Honey
- Few sprigs of Thyme - prune the leaves
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- With a sharp knife cut the pastry into 4 rectangular tarts and place them on the baking tray.
- Next score a smaller rectangle within each pie, so about an inch from the edge. This will make the edges of the pie puff up a dream.
- Slice the beets about 1cm thick to give you little beetroot rounds and place them into the tart (within the smaller rectangle, leaving the edges clear), it's okay if they overlap.
- Next make the vinaigrette. Combine all the ingredients in a jar and give it a good shake. If you don't have a jar you can put them in a bowl and whisk with a fork.
- Drizzle half the vinaigrette over the pies.
- Then crumble or slice the feta over the pies and bang in the oven for about 12 minutes, or until the edges of the pie are puffed and golden.
- Once ready, remove from oven and drizzle the rest of the dressing over the tarts and add a crack of black pepper.
- Finally..... enjoy! We ate this with a big spinach salad and it was heaven.